Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Could 'Change Password' box be suppressed?
Could 'Change Password' box be suppressed? [message #302045] Fri, 22 February 2008 15:51 Go to next message
dhar
Hi,

I'm currently developing a password management policy for my organisation. I'm investigating password expiration. I'm using Oracle 8i. The following observations were made:-

(1) A user's password has expired.
(2) The user attempts to logon (to an Oracle user application) for the first time since password expiration.
(3) A 'change password' dialog box is presented by Forms Runtime. This allows the user to specify (1) the old password (2) new password (3) confirm new password.
The user may change his password a set number(3) of times BEFORE the box actually exits. This is not desirable. I'm investigating why this is occuring.

Question : Is it possible to suppress this dialog box so that it is not displayed automatically when a user's password has expired ??? I would like helpdesk to attend to new password requests/authorization.

I would appreciate any assistance please.....

[MERGED by LF. Please, do not open a new topic about the same problem. Continue discussion in the existing one]

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2008 14:32] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Could 'Change Password' box be suppressed ? [message #302214 is a reply to message #302045] Sun, 24 February 2008 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
What do you want the user to see?

David
Re: Could 'Change Password' box be suppressed ? [message #302379 is a reply to message #302214] Mon, 25 February 2008 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dhar
I would like this "Change Password" dialog box to NOT be displayed to the user when his password expires. It should be suppressed.

A "Password Expired" messsage should be displayed to the user anytime he attempts to logon. Is this possible?

[Updated on: Mon, 25 February 2008 07:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Could 'Change Password' box be suppressed ? [message #302391 is a reply to message #302379] Mon, 25 February 2008 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
But, WHY would you want to do that? What's wrong with making it possible for users to enter three pieces of information by their own? Why should Helpdesk bother with it?

Everyone whose password expires will have to call Helpdesk and then ... do what? When do you plan to finally display the "change password" form to the user? Or do you want user to tell his/her new password to a person who works in Helpdesk? Unless this is a company policy, I wouldn't want ANYONE to know my password, not my neighbour, my colleague or some anonymous person behind the telephone line.
Re: Could 'Change Password' box be suppressed ? [message #302402 is a reply to message #302391] Mon, 25 February 2008 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dhar
My checks show that on expiration of a user's password, this "Change Password" box is presented. The user may proceed to set a new password. However, on completion, the values entered in box are cleared...and the box remains available. The user may proceed to change password again....4 times...on my database.

I assume this may be as a result of a database setting/parameter. I'm not very familiar with this area....now investigating this issue.

Ideally, I would like the user to be able to set a new password ONLY ONCE using the box....that is, when the password expires. The box should close immediately on successful completion of this change. I'm not sure how to effect this....which is why I'm thinking of suppressing the box completely....

Note...the user will be afforded the opportunity to change his password between 1 - 90 days...if this is not done before this period expires, it is deemed necessary that his account become inactive...helpdesk will attend to this request

Does this help in making my objectives any clearer ?? thanks...
Oracle Forms Runtime and custom on-logon trigger [message #302976 is a reply to message #302045] Wed, 27 February 2008 08:25 Go to previous message
dhar
Hi,

I'm using an application(ie. Oracle form). On execution, Oracle Forms Runtime is activated...database logon presented. If the user password expired, apparently Forms Runtime displays, by default, a 'Change Password' dialog box.

I will like to not display this box. I'm exploring the use of a custom on-logon trigger.
Is it possible to check if a user's password has expired or is locked using this trigger. If password is locked, I would like to display 'password locked' message and close logon box. Similarly, if password expired, I would like to display 'password expired' and close logon box.

I'd be grateful for any assistance.
Previous Topic: update
Next Topic: Help! Copying text using check box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 10:23:34 CDT 2024