Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » High Redo log Generation while using materialize view
High Redo log Generation while using materialize view [message #282744] Fri, 23 November 2007 04:48 Go to next message
ssmohol

Hi,

I have a two database, one is MySql and second is Oracle.
In MySql database I have created 20 tables.

Since I need to read mysql tables in oracle, I have created materialize view with refresh cycle
time as 5 min. in oracle database using dblink option.

Using this method i am able to read Mysql Tables in oracle database.

The issue is, after creating materializes view my redo logs generation increase very speedily. I
have 3 redo logs with 500MB each.
The speed of generating redo log file is 1 redo log file in 1 min.
Due to this problem, database is not able complete checkpoint and warning messages are appearing
in alert.log file.

The database is currently in no archive log mode, I need to put this in ARCHIVE log mode.

Is there any solution to reduce high generation of redo logs?

Thanks
Re: High Redo log Generation while using materialize view [message #282746 is a reply to message #282744] Fri, 23 November 2007 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Do less refresh.

Regards
Michel
Re: High Redo log Generation while using materialize view [message #282748 is a reply to message #282744] Fri, 23 November 2007 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ssmohol
Thanks Michel for quick responce.

The issue is i need data with every 5 min. refresh time.
I had word with my developer to increase refresh time.
But they need refresh data with every 5 min.
and This is actually a problem.

Is there any other option ...

Thanks
Shekhar
Re: High Redo log Generation while using materialize view [message #282754 is a reply to message #282748] Fri, 23 November 2007 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Logs are generated following the work you do and only that.
There is no option "log less".

Regards
Michel
Re: High Redo log Generation while using materialize view [message #282761 is a reply to message #282754] Fri, 23 November 2007 06:28 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Of course one might wonder if it is wise to have a materialized view that is refreshed every 5 minutes.

Depending on how often people actually query the data, and how much of the data they are querying it might be better for the DB to use a normal view instead.

Or have a materialized view that is refreshed every day, and union that with a "difference" view for the data of the current day.

But that would depend on what the data model actually is.
Previous Topic: Books for oracle
Next Topic: Upgrade 8i to 10g or 11g RAC?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:55:08 CDT 2024