Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Object Types/XMLType tables and Forms 10gr2
Object Types/XMLType tables and Forms 10gr2 [message #250560] Tue, 10 July 2007 07:48 Go to next message
verganas
Hiya all,

a kinda strange problem i am facing and any ideas would be much appreciated.

I am using oracle xml db (with schema registration - structured storage) and i'd like to access the table and object types that oracle creates for me (using my schema) through oracle forms 10gR2. The table is an object table of xmltype (for clarification).

Trying to insert into that table directly from forms gives me a:

Error 801 Internal Error 60513

This is the insert statement : insert into doc_templates values(xmltype(buf));

Also when i try to create objects from the object types and compile the form, form builder crashes with a oraclient10.dll memory access violation error.

I looked around in metalink for this issue and one ( and only ) relevant issue which was posted as bug and initially accepted as bug was closed as not a bug without any comments that could help me.

One workaround is using database stored procedures to do this job but i'd like to avoid it at all cost cause that would add lots of unnessecary load at the thing i try to achieve.

Any ideas for this ?

Regards
Re: Object Types/XMLType tables and Forms 10gr2 [message #253131 is a reply to message #250560] Sun, 22 July 2007 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I goggled 'can oracle forms handle xml database' and found http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/xml/xmldb/Current/oracle_xml_db_and_forms_integration_twp.pdf.pdf

David
Re: Object Types/XMLType tables and Forms 10gr2 [message #253552 is a reply to message #253131] Tue, 24 July 2007 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
verganas
Thx for the try to help David but it's not related. They just use Forms to show relational views on XML DB. Anyways i had to do a work around and do all the XML Api processing through server side pl/sql which works ok.

Regards.
Re: Object Types/XMLType tables and Forms 10gr2 [message #255154 is a reply to message #253552] Mon, 30 July 2007 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
My gut feel is that Forms 10 is not that different to Forms 3&4 in that it only handles the 'basic' set of data types - character, number, and date (and variants). I see your problem as just highlighting the underlying age of the Oracle Forms product.

In Oracle White Paper Oracle Forms 10g – New Features at http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/pdf/10g/frm10gnewfeatures.pdf it states
Quote:
Moving from Oracle9i Forms to Oracle Forms 10g is not the quantum leap you may have expected, given the version change from 9L to 10g. The change in version number follows the name change for the new release of Oracle Application Server, which Oracle Application Server 10J Forms Services is a component of. All samples and collateral provided for Oracle9L Forms are still relevant in Oracle Forms 10g.

The official Forms component names are “Oracle Application Server 10J Forms Services” for the Web runtime environment contained in Oracle Application Server 10g and "Oracle Forms Developer" for the application building environment, which is a part of Oracle Developer Suite 10g.

Though the Forms Services and Forms Developer names now contain the designator “10g,” the internal release version of Forms is Forms 9.0.4. Oracle Forms 10g is based on the same required support files (RSF) for the database as is Oracle9L Forms.

Forms was great for its time and what it was originally designed to handle. However, for some of the leading end stuff and character-by-character handling it may not be the best tool. You have a work-around and, in my opinion, doing much of the work in the database is always a great idea.

David
Re: Object Types/XMLType tables and Forms 10gr2 [message #255250 is a reply to message #255154] Tue, 31 July 2007 03:37 Go to previous message
verganas
Well forms in not my tool of choice and i am currently kinda "forced" to work on it to make some stuff it's not meant for forms to make Razz. But i have worked a lot on forms 6i like 7yrs ago and i can't see much of a evolution on the product sadly. So i agree with you on that totally.

Regards
Previous Topic: Replacement for D2KWUTIL function in Forms 10g
Next Topic: nested decode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 02:16:56 CDT 2024