Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » tool_env.getvar and default.env
tool_env.getvar and default.env [message #200828] Wed, 01 November 2006 08:44 Go to next message
bdrufner
Forms 9.0.4, RDBMS 9.2.0.4

I have searched this forum, but do not see an answer to this issue. I have also looked around the Oracle Forms help.

I am able to use the tool_env.getvar utility to read a user defined variable from default.env.

My issue is that for the app that I am working on, I am using a named configuration definition in my formsweb.cfg file and a unique application specific environment (env) file. My named configuration references the application specific "ENV" file.

The tool_env.getvar utility appears to only want to read the default.env file, not my unique application specific environment env) file.

Is there a way to set the tool_env.getvar utility to read my unique application specific environment (env) file to get read a user defined variable?

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Re: tool_env.getvar and default.env [message #200902 is a reply to message #200828] Wed, 01 November 2006 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I did a search of this forum for 'tool_env' and found 9 hits. At number 3 I found http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/157328/67467/?srch=tool_env#msg_157328 which suggests the web search http://www.google.com/search?&q=forms+tool_env+text_io

I suggest trying that search anbd lloking at the various Oracle doucments to which it points.

Basically, in a Windows based system 'tool_env' reads ENVIRONMENT variables, but in a Unix system read the environment file.

Please confirm that you are using a Unix Application Server.

David
Re: tool_env.getvar and default.env [message #201098 is a reply to message #200828] Thu, 02 November 2006 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bdrufner
David,

First, thanks for responding to my question.

Second, I am running on LINUX app server. Sorry, I left that fact out.

On the suggested links, I actually looked at the http://www.google.com/search?&q=forms+tool_env+text_io link prior to my original post, but unfortunately it is an Oracle slide show and references web_util which is used to mimick the Oracle 6i client/server functionality of grabbing data off of the client in a 10g (web) environment. I would like to read data off of an application specific ENV file located on the app server. Unfortunately, the tool_env.getvar procedure will read only the default.env file.

I thought there may be a "set" command associated with the tool_env.getvar procedure forcing an access of the application specific ENV file that I am using for this application.

I have workaround ideas (hardcode a user defined variable in a PLL and call from a post logon trigger), but wanted to investigate the tool_env.getvar procedure possibility before moving on.

Thanks
Barry
Re: tool_env.getvar and default.env [message #201163 is a reply to message #201098] Thu, 02 November 2006 17:33 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Barry,

Unfortunately, I don't have an environment in which to test your endeavour. I have a gut feeling that 'web_util' is too basic or simplistic in its approach to satisfy your requirement. I expect that the Unix port will mimic the Windows version, and as there is only one 'environment' in Windows, then the logic on the Unix side will probably also only anticipate a single source of information.

I think that you will have to take this question to metalink and raise a TAR and get the authors to satisfy your enquiry.

Instead of using a PLL I would recommend using an Oracle database package with either a variable stored in the specification or a variable in the body with a 'get' function and maybe a 'set' function.

David

[Updated on: Thu, 02 November 2006 17:33]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: window not closing
Next Topic: sys as sysdba
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:24:58 CDT 2024