Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Disable keyboard (merged)  () 2 Votes
Disable keyboard (merged) [message #189399] Thu, 24 August 2006 08:24 Go to next message
bazish
how can i restrict keyboard punching when i want input from only via barcode reader?

I dont want to unplug keyboard from system.

my users enter data with the help of keyboard instead of swiping there Cards.
Thanks.
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189451 is a reply to message #189399] Thu, 24 August 2006 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
bazish wrote on Thu, 24 August 2006 08:24

how can i restrict keyboard punching when i want input from only via barcode reader?

I dont want to unplug keyboard from system.

my users enter data with the help of keyboard instead of swiping there Cards.
Thanks.

Is there anyone knows how to solve this problem?
I done this in Visual Basic by checking Ascii key's.... but questions remains as it .... How to restrict users from entering data in a field with the help of Keyboard?..where data should be enter only via barcode reader...
Thanks in advance if anyone knows the solution to this problem.........
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189509 is a reply to message #189451] Thu, 24 August 2006 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
IS the solution for this problem already exists on the Forum..or i should not ask this kind of question here...or no one knows how to do this..????BIG QUESTION MARK??
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189654 is a reply to message #189399] Fri, 25 August 2006 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
Still Waiting.....
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189743 is a reply to message #189399] Sat, 26 August 2006 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
should i quit????
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189746 is a reply to message #189743] Sat, 26 August 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saadatahmad

hi,
In one post you mentioned "my users enter data with the help of keyboard instead of swiping there Cards."
And in the other post you mentioned "How to restrict users from entering data in a field with the help of Keyboard?..where data should be enter only via barcode reader.."

At the same time, you want to allow users to enter data and to restrict. I find ambiguity in this question. Anyway, make the item Display item to restrict the user from entering by keyboard.

regards,
Saadat Ahmad
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189747 is a reply to message #189746] Sat, 26 August 2006 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
Helo Dear
Thanks for replying.
I think you didnt understand my question...

OK Let me explain it now again. dont read anything else but this...

----------Start-------------------

I have a text field which is this only field enable on my form. all other fields are only display items.
The enabled text feild is non database. when a user swipe there card, there attendance accepted. BUT Some users dont swipe there cards as they say they left it at home, they used keyboard to enter there code to make attendance.

so this is the problem. i dont want to unplug the keyboard from system. i only want the solution with the help of Oracle Forms to ensure that data entered is only via barcode reader not with the help of keyboard.....

-----------------end---------------------

so if you now understand could you please tell me how can i just make that field to display field and get the results....?

please tell me again if you have solution for this. thanks in advance.

Bilal
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189904 is a reply to message #189747] Mon, 28 August 2006 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
I think i explain in easy english. and explain it in detail. if still some problems while understanding then tell me. i need solution of this problem .. so is there anyone to solve this or should i quit thinking to get solution of this problem....
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189912 is a reply to message #189904] Mon, 28 August 2006 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Pfew. Not easy to accomplish I think....unless you can have some extra info on the card. You need a way to identify the card. I'm thinking about a hidden field that is filled by the cardreader too. Users won't be able to fill it manually.

MHE
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #189996 is a reply to message #189912] Tue, 29 August 2006 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
The idea of getting value in other field via barcode reader is fine but i dont think so its possible. and on "POST CHANGE" or on "POST TEXT ITEM" the value entered into antoher hidden field will also forwarded when a user enter via keyboard instead of Barcode.

I know in Visual Basic we have a check to see if a entery entered via keyboard or with barcode. for this we use ASCII pattern to verify all this.
Hope there is some way like this in ORACLE too to stop users from using Keyboard punching.

anyway thanks for your reply and please do let me know if you got solution for this problem..
waiting...

Bilal
Disable keyboard? [message #190011 is a reply to message #189399] Tue, 29 August 2006 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
razimj
Is it possible to disable keyboard punching, because i want data only be inserted viz barcode reader.?.
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190024 is a reply to message #189399] Tue, 29 August 2006 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
In Visual Basic this problem easily solved by using this code..

Turn the FORM Keypreview to True
THEN
Put this code in the Form:

Private Sub Form_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
KeyAscii = 0
End Sub

so is there anyone knows to do this same thing in ORACLE
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #190033 is a reply to message #189996] Tue, 29 August 2006 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
bazish wrote on Tue, 29 August 2006 07:12

The idea of getting value in other field via barcode reader is fine but i dont think so its possible.
Fair enough. Have you tested it? Assume you have a hidden field with one character + the automatic skip on, you can set that field right before the visible field. Now if you can add one extra character in the card's data, you can use the reader to fill the hidden field as well without the user's knowledge. That's the idea, whether it will work I don't know. That's for you to find out.

and on "POST CHANGE" or on "POST TEXT ITEM" the value entered into antoher hidden field will also forwarded when a user enter via keyboard instead of Barcode.
not only are post-change and post-text-item deprecated but they are also useless for what I had in mind. You don't want to copy data from one field to another.

I know in Visual Basic we have a check to see if a entery entered via keyboard or with barcode. for this we use ASCII pattern to verify all this.
Perhaps you can write a dll with this check routine and call that from Forms?

Hope there is some way like this in ORACLE too to stop users from using Keyboard punching.
Not that I know of. Oracle is a database, Forms is a end user interface to interact with that database.

MHE
Re: Disable keyboard? [message #190035 is a reply to message #190011] Tue, 29 August 2006 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
razimj wrote on Tue, 29 August 2006 07:57

Is it possible to disable keyboard punching, because i want data only be inserted viz barcode reader.?.

Same IP as bazish (Bilal Ahmad). Are you twins? Did you think that another user account posting the same question would get you a different result? Sad. Both threads are even on the same page so if you bothered to look 2 or 3 threads down...

MHE
Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #190040 is a reply to message #190033] Tue, 29 August 2006 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
[quote title=Maaher wrote on Tue, 29 August 2006 01:56]

The idea of getting value in other field via barcode reader is fine but i dont think so its possible.
Fair enough. Have you tested it? Assume you have a hidden field with one character + the automatic skip on, you can set that field right before the visible field. Now if you can add one extra character in the card's data, you can use the reader to fill the hidden field as well without the user's knowledge. That's the idea, whether it will work I don't know. That's for you to find out.

---------------

yes this solution was in my mind to put some extra character in a code which is hidden from users. doing this we get results YES. but we have more than 4500 Cards for employees and i dont want to reprint all those cards again.
so need to do on my side by getting solution to stop keyboard punching instead of reprinting all employee cards.

thanks for your reply once again.

Re: Restrict Keyboard Punching [message #190042 is a reply to message #190040] Tue, 29 August 2006 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
If rewriting the card data is not an option, you should investigate the ActiveX (DLL) option.

MHE
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190044 is a reply to message #189399] Tue, 29 August 2006 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
Yes i am looking for this but i dont have command on this kind of things. lets see if i found something. please if possible could u too help me regarding this DLL option....?
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190046 is a reply to message #190044] Tue, 29 August 2006 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
What Forms version are you using? Are you working web based or client/server?

MHE
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190054 is a reply to message #189399] Tue, 29 August 2006 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
Form Version 6 and Client/Server enviornment..
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190272 is a reply to message #189399] Wed, 30 August 2006 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
So Maaher.... anything you configure or get to solve this problem ...??waiting
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190318 is a reply to message #190272] Wed, 30 August 2006 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
bazish wrote on Wed, 30 August 2006 07:12

So Maaher.... anything you configure or get to solve this problem ...??
Let me tell you what I have on my list this week:
On the client's site
  • Schema comparison local test schema with remote test schema
  • Creation of sync scripts to get remote test schema up to date.
  • Installation of a batch application to remote test site
  • Creation of test scenario for batch application on remote test site
  • Test of batch application on remote test site
  • Modification of several Forms modules
  • Installation of modified Forms modules
  • Analysis of 3 application modules
  • Project team meeting

Apart from that I try to
  • keep the girlfriend happy Very Happy
  • have a follow up meeting with my employer
  • monitor OraFAQ and reply to messages there

bazish wrote on Wed, 30 August 2006 07:12

waiting
Waiting? You should be investigating, researching, reading but not waiting. You don't even take time to write full sentences so I assume you're quite busy working on the problem.

Look, you have a VB routine that can identify the source of text input. Try to find out how you can convert that to a DLL/ActiveX that is reusable. In Forms, try to import that DLL and call it. Can I help you with that? I doubt it. I don't have the VB routine, nor have I the DLL. I don't have Forms 6i to test anything on client server. There are examples here how you can import a dll and use it in Forms. Search for it.

MHE

[Updated on: Fri, 01 September 2006 05:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190490 is a reply to message #189399] Thu, 31 August 2006 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
SO THIS SIMPLE MEANS ALL I HAVE TO DO IS TO DO ON MY OWN. THERE IS NO BENIFIT OF USING THIS FORUM. OR YOU PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND MY PROBLEM...OR YOU PEOPLE DONT KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
ANYWAY THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR INTREST AND TIME TO SPEND SOLVING MY PROBLEM WHICH ACTULLY NOT SOLVED BUT AS I AM WORKING ON IT LETS HOPE WE SOLVE IT.

THANKS AGAIN

BILAL
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190551 is a reply to message #189399] Thu, 31 August 2006 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
Could you tell me entering data with the help of keyboard and entering data via swiping the card are same functions. I mean is there any ASCII difference between this...??
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190797 is a reply to message #190490] Fri, 01 September 2006 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
bazish wrote on Thu, 31 August 2006 07:51

SO THIS SIMPLE MEANS ALL I HAVE TO DO IS TO DO ON MY OWN.
I cannot create the DLL for you. There is no point in you waiting for me to create DLLs for you.

THERE IS NO BENIFIT OF USING THIS FORUM.
Really? So I can close this topic? This Forum is maintained by users who use their spare time to try to help out others and learn from it in the process. You get what you pay for. If this is not sufficient for you, try Oracle support. I'm happy to see that our efforts are appreciated...

OR YOU PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND MY PROBLEM...OR YOU PEOPLE DONT KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
I have proposed two ideas: extra info on the card reader of an external plugin (DLL, AcitveX, ...). What have you done in the mean time?

ANYWAY THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR INTREST AND TIME TO SPEND SOLVING MY PROBLEM WHICH ACTULLY NOT SOLVED BUT AS I AM WORKING ON IT LETS HOPE WE SOLVE IT.

Are you nagging now? I have told you that:
- I don't have Forms 6i, so I cannot run client/server Forms.
- Since I can't run client/server I cannot use ActiveX controls the way I would on a client/server environment
- you could try to convert the VB routine that can perform this check to a DLL
- if you succeeded in the DLL creation, you could try to attach this in your form module and use this DLL to perform a check.

A couple of questions:
  1. What part of my explanation was unclear?
  2. Was I rude in any way? If not, why are you?
  3. Did you try to create the DLL?
  4. Did you succeed?

One more thing: DON'T SHOUT!
Using uppercase only is rude.

To answer you other question: If there was a difference, you would be able to identify the source. I don't think there is a difference in the data transferred.

MHE
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190804 is a reply to message #190797] Fri, 01 September 2006 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
If you think you have to close this topic because there is no solution of this then you should. but if you let it be solved one day then it should be here opened. how know when someone get the solution..... Laughing
as for as your help.. i apreciate it. you try your level best i am sure and i thankfull for you on this. Cool

The vb routine can not be converted to Oracle as there is no trigger for KEY PRESS in Oracle as for as i know. if there is anyway we can fire the KEY PRESS trigger then i think we can solve this problem in other way.

The extra thing to add with a barcode to read via reader is impossible as we have to creat more than 4500 cards from start. and this i think not the solution.

now to answer your questions

1. What part of my explanation was unclear?
ans: nothing
2. Was I rude in any way? If not, why are you?
ans: no you were not. you feel i am because of caps letter. then its because we mostly use keyboard with caps lock on thats why you see my reply in caps. so this was not rude.
3. Did you try to create the DLL?
ans: yes
4. Did you succeed?
ans: no, because there is no alternate( as for as i know) to use VB's KEY PRESS Trigger in Oracle.

so if you think i should quit this forum which you think is recognised on top basis then i will but i am not sure i have to quit this forum as i found this good.

BUT I AM NOT ASKING YOU ... DONT CLOSE MY TOPIC. DONT CLOSE MY PROFILE... because its all on your side you are the administrator Razz

ok .. think again there might be something to solve this other than the two things you told me.. Cool

Bilal
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190816 is a reply to message #190804] Fri, 01 September 2006 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Ok. I see we're on the same track again. Good.
You are right on the "KEY PRESS" part: Forms has no such thing. I investigated the KEY-OTHERS trigger but that only captures function keys.
Hm. Back to the drawing board. I'll see if I can come up with something.

MHE

[Updated on: Fri, 01 September 2006 06:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #190826 is a reply to message #189399] Fri, 01 September 2006 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
ok thanks for your understandings. i already worked on Key Other but as you see its only for function buttons

i also think of using timer. working on it... lets see whats happen. tell me if you have something on this idea.

Bilal
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #191776 is a reply to message #190826] Fri, 08 September 2006 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Does the card reader sit between the keyboard and the PC, or does it attach to the PC through a different post?

David
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #310716 is a reply to message #189399] Wed, 02 April 2008 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bazish
Card Reader is between keyboard and PC.
Re: Disable keyboard (merged) [message #310930 is a reply to message #310716] Wed, 02 April 2008 20:05 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
bazish wrote on Wed, 02 April 2008 18:10 via PM
Dear Sir,
I just came back on the site to see if there is any solution for disabling keyboard entry on the form, but just to get value from card reader.

I noticed you asked long time ago about the position of card reader on my PC. well card reader is between PC and Keyboard. Keyboard and Card reader are connected to the PC with one cable, which has two pins, one for keyboard and one for Card Reader.

I hope you understand it.
I will wait for your reply.

thanks & regards
Bilal

Please confirm. The coloured plug with little pins from the keyboard connects to the carder reader and the card reader has two plugs, one with little pins that goes into the dedicated keyboard slot and the other is a USB connector that goes into a regular USB slot.

David
Previous Topic: Call a procedure
Next Topic: PDE Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 10:28:11 CDT 2024