Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » PLEASE SUGGEST :Not null check for an LOV item at item level and the same (merged)
PLEASE SUGGEST :Not null check for an LOV item at item level and the same (merged) [message #165692] Fri, 31 March 2006 09:18 Go to next message
orafaametta
Hi All,

I am working in a customized database application being devloped using FORMS6i and oracle8i,
the application will be deployed over web.

I have to implement a restriction on all mandatory LOV items in the application,in such a way that as soon as user navigates to other field while keeping that non null LOV item empty,he must be prompted for message and forced to provide a value for the item.

I am achieving this in WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger for NON LOV items like this
If 'BLOCK_NAME.ITEM_NAME' is null then
Message('Provide the value here');
Raise form_trigger_failure;
End if;

IF i write the same code in WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM for LOV ITEMS,then LOV will not be displyed when cursor(control) is in that LOV item and user presses LOV button. I found that instead of displyig LOV the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger fires and raises Form_trigger_Failure with the message 'Provide the value here'
(it seems it is validating the item before invoking lov,i tried to track this in key-listval but all in vain,however key-listval will not fire when user presses the lOV button)

Please suggest in this regard, i want to have this mandatory check at item level itself for all LOV items,
In the application each LOV item contains PRE-TEXT-ITEM ,POST-TEXT-ITEM and WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE trigger for follwoing two purposes
1.To decrease and increase field length before and after cursor moves into the LOV item
2.To make the LOV button appear when cursor is in the item and to make it disppear when cursor moves out of the item.

Please suggest me....

Ashish.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 April 2006 03:37]

Report message to a moderator

Not null check for a LOV item at item level [message #165820 is a reply to message #165692] Sun, 02 April 2006 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orafaametta
Hi All,

I am working in a customized database application being devloped using FORMS6i and oracle8i,
the application will be deployed over web.

I have to implement a restriction on all mandatory LOV items in the application,in such a way that as soon as user navigates to other field while keeping that non null LOV item empty,he must be prompted for message and forced to provide a value for the item.

I am achieving this in WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger for NON LOV items like this
If 'BLOCK_NAME.ITEM_NAME' is null then
Raise form_trigger_failure;
End if;

IF i write the same code in WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM for LOV ITEMS,then LOV will not be displyed when cursor(control) is in that LOV item and user presses LOV button. I found that instead of displyig LOV the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger fires and raises Form_trigger_Failure with the message 'Provide the value here'
(it seems it is validating the item before invoking lov,i tried to track this in key-listval but all in vain,however key-listval will not fire when user presses the lOV button)

Please suggest in this regard, i want to have this mandatory check at item level itself for all LOV items,
In the application each LOV item contains PRE-TEXT-ITEM ,POST-TEXT-ITEM and WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE trigger for follwoing two purposes
1.To decrease and increase field length before and after cursor moves into the LOV item
2.To make the LOV button appear when cursor is in the item and to make it disppear when cursor moves out of the item.

Please suggest me....

Ashish.
Re: PLEASE SUGGEST :Not null check for an LOV item at item level [message #165849 is a reply to message #165692] Mon, 03 April 2006 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Aaahhh! the old 'I have a button that duplicates the Oracle LOV hot key because my Business Analyst only knows VB and thinks that the users are untrainable'.

What happens if you make the Validate_from_list property 'true' for these LOV fields? Have you tried making the 'LOV button' niether mouse nor keyboard navigable? Have you considered making the LOV automatic display? Have you considered making the LOV item non-navigable until the user presses the LOV button?

David
Re: Not null check for a LOV item at item level [message #165862 is a reply to message #165820] Mon, 03 April 2006 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
FIRST AND FINAL WARNING - DO NOT REPOST THE SAME QUESTION!! Repostings 1 minute apart may happen by ACCIDENT, but not a day apart.

If you want your thread to 'float' to the top of the list then reread your original post, clarify and enhance it, then add a 'thump' reply to your own original post to push it up the list. But never, EVER repost the same text, especially on the weekend, some of us pretend to have a life.

David
Re: PLEASE SUGGEST :Not null check for an LOV item at item level [message #165951 is a reply to message #165849] Mon, 03 April 2006 10:36 Go to previous message
orafaametta
Hi,

I am extremely sorry for reposting the same question as it is a final warning i make sure this will never happen again.

1. Valdiate from List property is YES for all LOV items
2.User is allowed to move the control in LOV button(its always navigable).
(LOV buttons appears and disappears as the control comes-in and leaves the item.)

The mouse navigable property for the LOV button is 'YES', I think this will solve my problem, if I keep this to 'NO'.

Most probably I have got the solutions. I will confirm once I try it in my application

Thanks for the solution
Sorry again for reposting the same text.

Regards,
Ashish.

Previous Topic: not able to connect to database (prakskary)
Next Topic: language character set of the form when it was developed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:28:10 CDT 2024