Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Can forms 9i/6i used to develop a application for distributed environment
Can forms 9i/6i used to develop a application for distributed environment [message #126533] Tue, 05 July 2005 07:42 Go to next message
suradha
Dear friends,
I want to do a time sheet project that maintains
the work done by the service engineers of a medical
equipment company. There are many branches. What i
need is a applet form like thing that downloads to
a browser which can be used from anywhere by the
service engineers to enter data without need for
the software like forms,visual basic etc in the client system. Can it be done using oracle 9i and forms 6i or 9i. What i
need is a program that works in a distributed
environment which runs without the client having
the software installed in his system. He must be able to connect to the website where the forms is loaded and the user enters data and view report .
Please reply
as early as possible as it is very urgent.
With thanks,
suradha
Please mail to the foll. mail:

mailingsuradha@gmail.com
suradharaja@yahoo.com
mailingsuradha@yahoo.com
Re: Can forms 9i/6i used to develop a application for distributed environment [message #126640 is a reply to message #126533] Wed, 06 July 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Yes you can use Forms 9i but they will have to install Oracle Java applet on each PC. This is trivial but it is a couple of meg in size and I don't know the speed of your communication lines.

Alternatively, have a look at Oracle's HTML_DB at http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/htmldb/index.html. This requires NOTHING on the PC except a browser and cookie permission.

David
Re: Can forms 9i/6i used to develop a application for distributed environment [message #128062 is a reply to message #126640] Thu, 14 July 2005 17:31 Go to previous message
Another Arbitrary Name
As "djmartin" suggested Oracles reccommended method would be to install 10g Application Server. This is very expensive and often overkill (depending on business needs).

An alternative is to just to use the client-server method but configure it to be Thin-Client. A simple search (or another topic) should provide you with the details you need to acheive this.

This gives you all the benifits of WEB-based apps, without the need for a web server: although you will/may be limited to local networks (fine for almost any business: as it will run over a CITRIX connection too).
Previous Topic: Dynamically change the size of text/display field thru mouse pointer
Next Topic: OLE2 objects in Form Developer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:43:17 CDT 2024