Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Estimation Guidelines (Developer 6)
Estimation Guidelines [message #443018] Fri, 12 February 2010 01:15 Go to next message
purohg
Hi All,
Please can you help me in preparing an estimation guidelines.
For Oracle Forms and reports, i need to define criteria based on which any development piece of work can be divided into complexity of simple, medium, complex, very complex.

Also the rough estimate for that piece of work.

Please can any one send me if you have already have a similar guidelines.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gitanjali

Re: Estimation Guidelines [message #446918 is a reply to message #443018] Thu, 11 March 2010 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Sorry that I have been so long in replying. Have you solved your problem?

As a rule of thumb I use: simple - 1 day, medium - 1 week, complex - 1 month, very complex - 1 year. This includes specification finalisation, database and form development, system testing, user testing, integration testing, deployment, user guide creation, warranty.

David
Re: Estimation Guidelines [message #446949 is a reply to message #446918] Thu, 11 March 2010 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
purohg
Hi,
Thanks for your time. This estimation looks very good Smile
Can i know your company name who allowed you to work on a very complex reports for one year.

Can you plaese share me any conditions/criteria on what basis you decide the report as simple, medium complex.

Regards,
Gitanjali
Re: Estimation Guidelines [message #447559 is a reply to message #446949] Tue, 16 March 2010 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Simple - one table, it has data, the user knows what they want to see and has supplied a layout that it trivial.

Medium - more than one table with defined relationships, data exists, the user knows what they want to see and has supplied a layout that has, at most, one complex structure.

Complex - numerous tables, no data (developer must create own data but with no guarantee that the data is what will ultimately be available), the user is not certain of what they want to see but will know what they want when they see it, numerous 'breaks' and 'pagination', plus running totals and some computation.

Very complex - numerous tables, no or little inter-relationship, as above - no data (developer must create own data but with no guarantee that the data is what will ultimately be available), as above - the user is not certain of what they want to see but will know what they want when they see it, numerous non-standard 'breaks' and suppressed headers, non-standard computation and numbering, possible requirement for temporary tables to be created and populated plus procedures to perform some of these actions, also requirement to display more characters than are available on a line so that 'logic' must be applied for each page to 'move' the columns around to get results onto the page.

David
Re: Estimation Guidelines [message #457617 is a reply to message #447559] Tue, 25 May 2010 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
purohg
Hi,
Please can any one help me in teh criteria to derive teh complexity of the oracle form. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Gitanjali
Re: Estimation Guidelines [message #459719 is a reply to message #457617] Tue, 08 June 2010 01:53 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
By the lack of response, I don't think anyone else has a better method that I suggested.

I think you will just have to work on a few forms yourself and keep measurements of how long they took to complete.

David
Previous Topic: Multibyte Character problem post migration
Next Topic: FRM-40505: unable to perform query error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 00:57:24 CDT 2024