Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Oracle Forms and Non-Profit (Oracle Forms 10g/11g WinServ2003r2)
Oracle Forms and Non-Profit [message #434235] Tue, 08 December 2009 01:09 Go to next message
c.caldwell
Good Evening,
I have a question? I am a non-profit cio and my org is looking at using oracle forms and reports to develop our enterprise information system consisting of student information(demographics,courses,grades,fees,discipline,admissions/enrollment), Financial information(ap,ar,grants,chart of accounts,etc),donor/fund-rising Management,Point of Sales(linked to donor management and to student information),and Human Resources(employee,volunteer,payroll), Campus Management(Connects all data by campus assigned to data . Now is oracle forms the right development tools for a project like this? How long would a project like this take using these tools take? Is this a cost affective move? Would we need to get new hardware? (currently 2 winser2003, 1 quad core other celeron,1gb of ram other 512) If any body could give me feedback on this that would be great. You can post or e-mail me.

Christian Caldwell
Chief Information Officer
The Brotherhood
Aurora, Colorado
c.caldwell@thebrotherhoodusa.org[/email]

[Updated on: Tue, 08 December 2009 01:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Forms and Non-Profit [message #434273 is a reply to message #434235] Tue, 08 December 2009 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As a non-profit organization, I guess that you aren't the richest one in the world. If you want to use Oracle products for commercial purposes (and I'm afraid that yours would be considered as such, eventually), it is expected that you should pay for Oracle database as well as development tools you are about to use (Developer Suite, which contains both Forms and Reports). In order to run the application, you'd also need an application server so - this might cost A LOT!.

On the other hand, perhaps you might do it all with Oracle 10g Express Edition (XE). It already contains development tool called Application Express. Although the XE database has certain limitations (up to 4 GB user's data might not be enough - how much data do you expect, anyway?), it is free.

So, perhaps you might take a look, read some articles, google around and make a decision.
Re: Oracle Forms and Non-Profit [message #434612 is a reply to message #434273] Wed, 09 December 2009 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c.caldwell
Could apex handle all these projects.
Re: Oracle Forms and Non-Profit [message #434655 is a reply to message #434612] Thu, 10 December 2009 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, as far as I can tell. Data volume is critical, not the fact whether Apex can or can not do that.
Re: Oracle Forms and Non-Profit [message #434802 is a reply to message #434655] Thu, 10 December 2009 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c.caldwell
cool thank you for your input i will look in to apex. We have oracle database 11g(commercial) so data is not in issue. We just wanted to make a rich interface environment, something that's easy to use but full of features.
Re: Oracle Forms and Non-Profit [message #434849 is a reply to message #434802] Fri, 11 December 2009 04:16 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK then, if the database is not a problem, you have really wide source of tools that can communicate with it (from Oracle Forms, APEX, to Visual Basic, Delphi, whatever).
Previous Topic: how to add callendar in Report 6i urgent!!!!!!pls
Next Topic: Split the data For Search
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:59:20 CDT 2024