Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl (ORACLE FORMS 10G, ORACLE DATABASE 10G)
How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #424053] Wed, 30 September 2009 01:57 Go to next message
m.bhatkrishna@gmail.com
Hi all,
How generate .dbf (database file format of the Foxpro-dBASE IV) through oracle forms or Pl/sql. I am using oracle forms 10g/database 10g.
I have sample query, output of the query should saved as .dbf file. later output of thsi query is used in foxpro database.
I have tried using generate output .csv first nad later converted to .dbf file using text_io. but it did nott workout.

Please help me regarding this

Regards
Krishna
Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #426327 is a reply to message #424053] Thu, 15 October 2009 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Why not just import the 'csv' file into Foxpro?

David
Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #437455 is a reply to message #426327] Mon, 04 January 2010 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
murugub
Hi krishna,

I am also in need of the same solution. Did you got the solution? If so please share it with me. It will be helpful for me.

Thanks in advance
Muruganandhan
Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #437540 is a reply to message #437455] Mon, 04 January 2010 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I see you are still trying to solve the problem you raised in http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/152900/67467/

What formats, other than 'dbf' can DBase III or IV handle? For example, 'csv' or 'sylk'?

Have you read the Oracle 10 database guide? Can Oracle 10 attach a DBase IV database file, either directly or via ODBC?

David
Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #437698 is a reply to message #437540] Tue, 05 January 2010 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
murugub
Dear David,

My requirement is as follows. One of our client is using our oracle 10g forms based application. For statuary purpose, some details from the oracle table has to be populated into Dbase file(DBF III file format). They don't want any user intervention on that. it has to be automated through oracle forms. How can I achieve this. I am searching for a long time. Still I didn't get any solution for that. Please put a deep light on that and try to provide me a solution

Thanks in advance
Muruganandhan
Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #437700 is a reply to message #437698] Tue, 05 January 2010 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
And what formats can DBase handle? What format is a "dbf" file?

If an DBase "dbf" file is anything like an oracle "data file", then it is not possible directly.

You will have to write a format that DBase can understand (csv, xml, sylk, ...) from Oracle, and then run an Import job on the DBase side. (maybe called in a batch job called by forms in some way in the final version.)

Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #437703 is a reply to message #437700] Tue, 05 January 2010 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
ThomasG wrote on Tue, 05 January 2010 18:16
What format is a "dbf" file?

It is a complex question, Thomas. If you have read the whole thread, you have seen that David refers another topic with the (more or less) same subject. In there you'd also find a link to dBase file format.

As you've supposed, it is not that easy to create a file which would be directly read by dBase. I believe that it takes time and (too much?) effort.

In my opinion, they should perhaps talk to the customer and convince them that they don't really want to have dBase III any more because it is obsolete and rely on data presented by Oracle. If possible (and I guess that it is possible), they might migrate historical data (to some extent) from dBase and use it in Oracle.
Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #437727 is a reply to message #437703] Tue, 05 January 2010 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
I suspected that was the case. Might be possible to do if the customer gives

- sufficient time
- sufficient money
- sufficient reason

to do it, but using a "standard" format data exchange file (or possibly a client library that can access both databases, or even generated SQL statements to be executed against DBase) would be the quicker, easier and most likely more robust solution.
Re: How to generate .dbf (dBase iv) File through Oracle forms or PL/SQLl [message #437783 is a reply to message #437698] Wed, 06 January 2010 00:10 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Research Oracle's "ORGANIZATION EXTERNAL" type database files and research ODBC.

David
Previous Topic: Need Live Project
Next Topic: utl_mail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:01:23 CDT 2024