Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » How to display th e data (10g developer suite, 10g ,win xp)
How to display th e data [message #326961] Fri, 13 June 2008 04:10 Go to next message
durgadas.menon
Hi,

Attached is the screen shot of my form. FRA_CUPBOARD (table - cupboard) contains the master and FRA_BOOKS (table - books) contains the details columns. Cupboardno is the primary key in Cupboard and foreign key in Books table.

I have created the relationship between them and have put them on the single Canvas, now according to what I read if search on the key that links the master and the detail then the data in the details columns should be automatically displayed.

eg. 14 is a value in cupboardno column of the cupboard table, if I search it then all the values of books column which had cupboard no 14 has to be automatically displayed on the form

I am not able to do that. I tried entering 14 in the cupboard column and then pressing the execute option under Query menu title but it does not do any search. Can anyone guide me how to do that search? or would it only appear after I write the PL/SQL code for the same.
Re: How to display th e data [message #326971 is a reply to message #326961] Fri, 13 June 2008 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Note status line; it says "unable to perform query".

Go to Help menu - Display error. See what's in there (and post it here, eventually).
Re: How to display th e data [message #326985 is a reply to message #326971] Fri, 13 June 2008 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
durgadas.menon
Here is the explanation for this

Quote:
Cause: Processing error encountered. The table associated with the current block of the form might not exist, or your username might not have authority to perform the specified action on the table.

Action: Pressing [Display Error] provides more information, if it is available. You can also try to update or delete this record later. If necessary, contact your DBA.

Level: >25

Type: Error

I don't understand why this error is occurring. The user is DBA_SCT and has DBA role attached with it, the tables were created in the same schema. While using sql*plus everything seems to be working fine but in the form it is not displaying properly.

Attached are screen shots which show what I have tried.

screen1 - empty screen after running the form

screen2 - Entered the cupboardno but not the cuoboardname, when pressed execute this gave an error (field must be entered) and so entered the cupboardname

screen3 - Entered both and then pressed execute but it asked me if I wanted to save the changes or not.

I am still not able to display the details columns data
  • Attachment: screen1.gif
    (Size: 59.87KB, Downloaded 569 times)
Re: How to display th e data [message #326986 is a reply to message #326985] Fri, 13 June 2008 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
durgadas.menon
No Message Body
  • Attachment: screen2.gif
    (Size: 60.62KB, Downloaded 579 times)
Re: How to display th e data [message #326987 is a reply to message #326986] Fri, 13 June 2008 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
durgadas.menon
No Message Body
  • Attachment: screen3.gif
    (Size: 62.37KB, Downloaded 487 times)
Re: How to display th e data [message #326993 is a reply to message #326987] Fri, 13 June 2008 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
In order to fetch detail records that belong to a master record, you have to be in a query mode. Screenshots you have posted suggest that you are in insert mode.

So, here's a possible walkthrough:
- run the form
- enter query mode (F7 on my system / press "Enter query" toolbar button)
- enter 14 into the "cupboardno" item in the upper (master) block
- execute query (F8 on my system / press "Execute query" toolbar button)

By the way, when I said to open Help menu - Display error, it was not Forms Builder's Help menu, but Forms runtime's one:

/forum/fa/4435/0/
Re: How to display th e data [message #327010 is a reply to message #326993] Fri, 13 June 2008 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
durgadas.menon
Thanks for the reply,

I did exactly as you said but I get this error

Quote:
FRM-40202 - Field must be entered
then I have to put in the cupboardname (dd) get rid of this error.

Still when I press F8 I the third screen shot (screen3.gif). I have customized the form a little and have removed a few columns from the frame in the detail table display (including the foreign key cupboardno), can this be causing the problem?

Re: How to display th e data [message #327015 is a reply to message #327010] Fri, 13 June 2008 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
"Field must be entered" means that there were changes in the master block PRIOR to entering query mode so form expects you to enter valid data. Modifications you did (including the foreign key item) are probably causing problems.

If "removing" means "deleting", yes - you did it wrong and you'd better delete that non-working form and create a new one from scratch, using Data Block Wizard.

If "removing" means "hiding" or "not displaying" or "making invisible" - it doesn't matter (i.e. it wouldn't make a form invalid).
Re: How to display th e data [message #327140 is a reply to message #327015] Sat, 14 June 2008 03:45 Go to previous message
durgadas.menon
Thanks,

When I tried it this time it worked fine. Also I had forgotten to check the box, in the Data Block Wizard, which asked for referential integrity. I also changed the automatic query to 'YES' in the relation property object

Previous Topic: forms push button color
Next Topic: "Too many Declareation" error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 14:19:07 CDT 2024