Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » To change the datatype using format mask -- (forms6i)
To change the datatype using format mask -- [message #318309] Tue, 06 May 2008 08:13 Go to next message
sudharshan
Hi,

I want to change the value based on the datatype.

A part of the coding:

I have written one cursor to fetch v_format and then

IF v_format = 'NUM' THEN
         m_format := '9999999.99' ;
 ELSIF v_format ='DATE' THEN  
         m_format := 'DD-MON-YYYY' ;
 		  ELSE
         m_format := null ;
      END IF ;	

SET_ITEM_PROPERTY('blockname.column_name',FORMAT_MASK, M_FORMAT);

Column name is varchar2.

This piece of coding is not working. I kindly request someone in this group to throw light on what is wrong?

Regards
Sudharshan
Re: To change the datatype using format mask -- [message #318375 is a reply to message #318309] Tue, 06 May 2008 11:50 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
This piece of coding is not working.

It is, of course, useless. How is anyone supposed to know what happened when you executed this piece of code unless you tell us? Is there any error? If so, which one? If not, what do you mean by "is not working"?

Topic title says that you'd like to change item's DATATYPE. As far as I can tell, you can't do that. Item datatype is defined during development process and can not be changed dynamically. What you are trying to do (using the SET_ITEM_PROPERTY built-in) is modifying FORMAT (not datatype).

Now, if you (for example) set item datatype to NUMBER, you can't expect it to contain DATE format (because DATE can not fit into NUMBER (unless it is Julian date)). Therefore, perhaps you should choose CHARACTER datatype for this item. Doing so, you might format it using the TO_CHAR function, using the appropriate format mask.

For example, you'd format numbers as TO_CHAR(value, '999G990D00'), dates as TO_CHAR(value, 'dd.mm.yyyy') etc.
Previous Topic: Chnage the value of the field (just for demo)
Next Topic: Time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 12:24:37 CDT 2024